| If you are not transferred to my new website in 10 seconds, please click on:
I am a philosopher, and for the past few years I have been preoccupied with a philosophical question about philosophy:
"What Is Empiricism, and What Could It Be?"Thinking about this has turned out to be rather a big project, and I have tried to divide it into manageable chunks, on each of which I try to write something when I become a little clearer.
I was born in Goes, the Netherlands, 5 Ap 1941, and emigrated with my family to Canada in 1956. I attended the University of Alberta (B.A. (hon.), Philosophy, 1963), and the University of Pittsburgh (M.A. 1964; Ph. D., Philosophy, 1966).
I've taught at Yale University, the University of Toronto, the University of Southern California, and Princeton University. I have been a Professor of Philosophy at Princeton University since 1982.
I have been active as editor of the Journal of Philosophical Logic
and co-editor of the Journal of Symbolic Logic, as well as in the
American Philosophical Association, the Philosophy of Science Association,
Society for Exact Philosophy, Evert Willem Beth Stichting, Association for
Symbolic Logic, and the International Union for History and Philosophy of
Science. I am a Foreign Member of the Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie
van Wetenschappen (Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences),
and a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Here I'll list my few non-academic publications. For other interests (cats, rock climbing) Go back to BvF directory
- "The Next Song" (story), The Fiddlehead , Number III (Fall 1976).
- "Picture Yourself a Philosopher" (brochure -- with S. Alcalay), USC Graphics, May 1978.
- "Walk to a Dead End" (story), Eros , Summer issue, 1979.
- "St. Xaviera" (story), Poetic License , 1979.
- "The Game" (story), Corona , 1981.
- "La Città Invisibile/The Invisible City", in L. Mazza (ed.), catalogue of the Milan Triennale Exhibition. Milano: Electa S.p.a., 1988.
- "The Tower and the Shadow" (story), included in The Scientific Image
- "A Parable" (story), included in Laws and Symmetry